Links and Tips
Click on the links below for more helpful information regarding your septic system.
Read the article in the Pumper magazine regarding the effects of the water softener on your septic system!
Do’s and Don’ts
- DO have your tank cleaned regularly by your licensed septic hauler and your happy pumper, Rowell’s Sewer & Drain!!
- DO keep your tank covers immediately accessible, especially during the winter months.
- DO keep a record of tank location, pumping, and maintenance history of your septic tank.
- DO practice water conservation to reduce the amount of water going into the septic system. Repair leaking toilets and any dripping faucets. Avoid long showers and consider replacing plumbing fixtures with water-saving features!
- DO spread out laundry throughout the week- don’t do it all at once!
- DO divert roof drains, perimeter drains, water softener and sump pump discharge lines from draining into your septic system.
- DO be sure to have a healthy grass cover on the leach field area and avoid planting trees and shrubs near your septic system.
- DON’T use antibacterial soap or overuse bleach, cleaning products, or disinfectants.
- DON’T use high absorbency, thick toilet paper. It does not break down easily and can cause your inlet baffle to clog.
- DON’T allow anyone to drive or park on any part of your septic system!
- DON’T place above-ground pools or playground equipment on top of your leach field area!
- DON’T make repairs to your septic system without obtaining permits required by law. Rowell’s can assist you with the permitting process.
- DON’T use your septic system as a trash
can!! Avoid flushing into your septic system grease, disposable diapers,
plastics, cigarette butts, excessive toilet paper, kitty litter,
tampons, condoms – you get the idea!! These items DO NOT degrade and
will fill up the tank quickly, costing you more in pumping costs.